It is like a I chance upon an interesting article today and I find the title strange. I wonder if the title should be changed to ‘Are you wasting life but you do not know it?‘ instead of “13 signs you’re wasting life but you can’t admit it“. Following are some thoughts that went through my mind as I read it:
- You spend too much time doing the things you shouldn’t be doing. Usually things happen out of curiosity or boredom, maybe even peer pressure. As time goes, the things become a part of you, lord over you and control you… I still remember my late grandfather smoking whenever I saw him; smoking when he was thinking, when he was stressed and when there was nothing else to do. He told me he could never quit smoking. Then he got very sick and he stopped the next day when the doctor told him one more stick would kill him. Yes, he just stopped smoking. It is a miracle and he lived another 10 years before he passed away. Morale of the story: Miracle requires effort. Don’t just say you cannot.
- You find yourself complaining a lot. I find myself trapped in this situation lately, and I know the negative energy is quickly replacing my positive energy. Instead of feeling energized, I feel lethargic and restless. Today, I challenged this vicious attack in my mind and ask myself what I really want. I tell you, this is an awesome question. Like what the quote says, “if you don’t like where you are, then change it” or “If you don’t like what you are doing, then move on“. Why waste time dwelling on it? Be a human, not a tree 🙂
- You don’t feed the mind. This I do not agree. Your mind defines you, controls your thoughts, actions, emotions and your being. It is like sponge, soaking in everything around you and hence, you are feeding your mind. You just need to filter what you are feeding your mind and let the power of your mind improve your life instead of wasting it!
- You have a lot of negative self-talk. Negative self-talk has a strong impact in your self-esteem and confidence. Also, an unhappy person brings unhappiness into relationships with the people in your midst. Trash your negative self-talk. Stop believing that you’are not good enough. “Change your thoughts and you will change your world.” – Norman Vincent Pace
- You feel uninspired. This usually happens when you go through the routine day in day out without much thought. Though you are still alive, you are no longer living… So what can you do to start living and stop wasting your life? Simply go to Youtube and google for video with the keywords “inspire,”, inspiring,” and I hope someone out there will inspire you to live a purpose driven life.
- You don’t plan for your future. Are you someone who live for THE moment or you are simply too afraid to be disappointed when your dreams pops like a bubble? But hey, this plan is for you, not to limit you or to stress you. It is meant to give you more focus and serves as a guiding principle in decision making. Morale of the story: Live intentionally and you will reap the harvest at the right time.
- You spend too much time with people who don’t contribute to your growth. I was once told by a friend to spend time hanging out with smart people because I will become smarter in the process. I think you get what I mean 🙂
- You are addicted to your phone. The phone was created to serve you, not to control you. If you are constantly checking your phone or simply scrolling up and down, or left and right, it is obvious that time is slipping through your fingers. I suggest you ‘divorce’ your phone for at least half a day, do something else uninterrupted.
- You spend money on things that don’t matter. Shopping for things that you need is an essential activity in life. If you have extra cash in hand to spend, I suggest you start looking around and buy something for someone in need but cannot afford it. Spread some love and be blessed.
- You don’t get enough sleep. I have come across people who think that sleeping is a waste of time but staying up late into the wee hours to play computer games or to chit chat is not. Don’t be naïve. You are compromising your quality of life by not sleeping enough, such as accelerating the aging process, increasing the chance of falling sick and becoming irritable easily.
- You’re not taking care of your body. The body encompasses the physical, mental and emotional. There is only one reason to this: you do not love yourself. God did not make a mistake creating you. You are the one who is making a mistake to belittle God’s creation. Think again.
- You don’t leave your comfort zone. Leaving your comfort zone does not always mean you have to quit your job or leave your country, which I did! It can simply mean accepting feedback to do things differently. Allow yourself to be pleasantly surprised and come to a realisation that your ‘tried and tested’ ways may not be the best or the only way.
- You are living a life you don’t like. Why are you allowing this to happen? Did someone tell you or you have come to believe that you are not good enough or you do not deserve it? You have to be strong and courageous to step out of where you are. You have only one chance to live, live it to the fullest. Don’t live your life fulfilling others’ agenda. Start having a plan, take baby steps to create a brand new you. Be accountable to someone to monitor your progress and celebrate your little successes.
Stop procrastinating. First, touch your life. Then, go out and touch another life.
You have only one chance to live. Live it to the fullest 🙂